Rent a car in Santiago
Santiago is the greenest and most fertile island in the archipelago. In Santiago you can contemplate a varied landscape where you can enjoy a multitude of outdoor activities. The island's two mountain ranges offer the better conditions for hiking and you can enjoy nature in its purest state.
Top 5 things to do on the island of Santiago
- Praia - Cape Verde's capital - You can't miss the beaches, the lighthouse and the market.
- Cidade Velha - Cape Verde's first capital - With 500 years of history, it was founded on a large green mountain overlooking the sea. Forts, churches and pillories were built. Here, every corner tells a story and the ancient city invites you to discover it.
- Serra da Malagueta Natural Park - Excellent for hiking, in the Serra da Malagueta natural park you will discover the wildest, most natural and purest side of Cape Verde. Along the pedestrian paths, you will get to know first-hand unique and hidden places. The red land, the trails and all the fauna and flora that you can find are fascinating and deserve to be explored.
- Tarrafal - concentration camp and the beach - Tarrafal is another must visit destination on the island of Santiago. The Tarrafal concentration camp deserves to be visited, explored and understood. Then you should also visit the bay and the beach of Tarrafal, a paradise beach with white sand and crystal clear water.
- Águas Belas - the green pearl of Santa Catarina de Santiago - Águas Belas is a beach you don't want to miss thanks to its stunning coastline with a mix of earth and sea. There's also a cave with two entrances - one to the beach and one to the ocean. You can take a guided visit to the cave by asking the local fishermen and it has a cost of 4 Eur per person. During the visit you might even be lucky and see dolphins!
- Rui Vaz - the village where you can breathe nature - Rui Vaz is a very cozy country village located about 20km northwest of Praia, between São Domingos and Cidade Velha, and belongs to the mountain range that includes the Pico de Antónia, the highest point on the island of Santiago. Rui Vaz is characterized by its beautiful forest, which allows for a very pleasant tourist itinetary for those who like the deep green nature. Along the way, you can enjoy the viewpoint overlooking the municipalities of São Lourenço dos Órgãos and Santa Cruz. When the sky is slightly cloudy, it is also possible to see the neighboring island of Maio. The mountains of Rui Vaz and Serra de Pico de Antónia are the two best samples of mountain ecosystems on the island of Santiago and where you can appreciate most of the endemic plant species of Cape Verde.
To make the most of your trip, consider renting a car from our trusted local suppliers. With the convenience of a car you can easily discover the island's treasures at your own pace.